Tuesday 21 June 2011

DIY: colour block your shoes!

The other day the sole broke from my shoe while I was out in town so I went to Rubi shoes to buy a new pair to take me home. Lucky for me they are currently having their stocktake sale and I grabbed a pair of plain camel ankle boots for only $20. As the colour blocking trend is in this season, I decided to give them a little makeover...


What you will need:


  • A plain pair of shoes
  • Masking tape ( I used cello tape but masking tape is better)
  • paint & paint brush
  • optional: shoe polish in different colour to your shoe

 Choose the sections you want to change colours and section off with masking tape.
Start painting.


(note: I brightened the tape in the photo so you could see it better)


the painted toe cap after the tape was taken off. As You can see the tape really helped get a clean line.
Because I used such a high pigment paint for the black, and also becuase black is a normally dense colour, I only did a single fairly thick coat of paint.


I used the seam in the shoe as a guide for where I rubbed in "dark tan" shoe polish. I used tape along the seam just incase. I then used a shoe brush to rub in the polish and give it a smooth finish. the colour turned out looking a dark red.

When you're happy with your design, do a few few more coats wherever need be (the white definately needs multiple coats) then let it dry over night. The following day, lightly spray with shoe protector available from most shoe stores for around $10.

So that's the finished piece, It's amazing what a little bit of paint or wrong colour shoe polish can do for a plain pair of shoes.

outfit post coming soon! x



No comments:

Post a Comment